Saturday, 28 November 2009

New Author Challenge 2010

The New Author challenge, hosted by Literary Escapism is rather self-explanatory, really. The challenge is to read books by authors you haven't read anything by before. Hopefully this will encourage me to get round to reading some of the classical authors I've been avoiding - Jane Austen, Victor Hugo, etc.

I set my goal at 50 new authors since that seemed reasonably and manageable. We'll see how it goes. I love challenges, but I don't want to take on too much, I have a habit of always biting off more than I can chew, which is great because it means I push myself to new levels, and bad because it means I'm often disappointed by not being able to meet my ludicrous expectations. But I seem to work best/be most productive when I'm stressed so...

1. Thomas Paine; Common Sense
2. Longus; Daphnis and Chloe
3. Walpole; The Castle of Otranto
4. Mackenzie; The Man of Feeling
5. David Malouf; Remembering Babylon
6. Klaus Theweleit; Object-Choice (All You Need is Love...)
7. Buchan; The Thirty-Nine Steps
8. Hurlburt & Schwitzgebel; Describing Inner Experience?
9. Radcliffe; The Castles of Athlin and Dunbayne
10. Tactius; The Agricola and The Germanicus
11. Juvenal; The Sixteen Satires
12. Voltaire; Letters on England
13. Tom Holland; The Vampyre
14. Kipling; The Jungle Book
15. Stephen Crane; The Red Badge of Courage
16. Anthony Hope; The Prisoner of Zenda
17.Scarlett Thomas; The End of Mr. Y
18. Samuel Butler; Erewhon
19. Wladyslaw Szpilman; The Pianist
20. Kundera; Immortality
21. Alcott; Little Women
22. Charlotte Bronte; Jane Eyre
23. Douglas Adams; The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy


No comments:

Post a Comment